DETAILED ACCOUNT OF ST. MARKS LIGHTHOUSE, FLORIDA
Are you here to know Something about St. Marks Lighthouse? If yes, you are in the perfect place because, in this blog, we will provide you with a detailed account of St. Marks Lighthouse, Florida.
In the 1820s, the city served as a port for the thriving plantation region of Central Florida and some counties in South Georgia. Producers transported their agricultural products to the port city in railcars via a first road that connected the territorial capital of Tallahassee to the town of St. Once the agricultural products reached the new port city, they were loaded onto ships for shipment to New Orleans or St. Eleven days later, the committee released a report that recognized the town of St. Marks as an official port of entry and recommended the construction of a lighthouse in the area. The House of Representatives passed a law authorizing a lighthouse in St. After Robert Mitchell, the customs collector at Pensacola. A site chosen for the Lighthouse completed a study of St. Lawrence. That same year, the tower whale oil lamps were lit by Samuel Crosby, appointed the first keeper of the St. Mark's Lighthouse the year before. Samuel Crosby was still the keeper of the St. Marks Lighthouse in 1835 when the Second Seminole Indian War broke out, and soon learned of the Indian attacks on the lighthouses at Cape Florida and Mosquito Inlet.
Fearing for his family's safety, Crosby wrote to authorities and demanded that a small detachment of troops be quartered near his Lighthouse to protect him and his family from hostile attacks. In 1842, the erosion threatening the Lighthouse and Winslow Lewis was called again. Another site was chosen further inland, away from the water, and a new tower was built, then the original lantern and light fixture were reinstalled. The new building survived the destructive hurricanes of the 1840s and 1850s, including the disastrous storm of September 1843, which destroyed most of the town of Port Leon and caused significant damage to the city of St.
In 1865, the tower light fixture had been removed earlier to prevent the Lighthouse from aiding Union blockade ships, which patrolled Apalachee Bay. In March of the same year, a Federal fleet of 16 ships appeared off the coast and began to bombard the vicinity of the Lighthouse in preparation for the disembarkation of a force. The Lighthouse received a new fourth order Fresnel lens, first lit by keeper David Kennedy on January 8, 1867. Charles Fine was a keeper from 1892 to 1904, when he was replaced by his wife, Sarah.
One of Fine's daughters was born and raised at the Lighthouse and eventually married J. Gresham, a lighthouse keeper. Gresham would serve more years at the Lighthouse than any other keeper. The Gresham children were raised in relative isolation from the Lighthouse, and a private teacher lived with the family to provide formal education. Roberts from Mississippi fell in love with one of the Gresham daughters and eventually married her at the age of twenty-three.
Marks, who frequented the waters near the Lighthouse. Their marriage sadly ended in divorce, as guardian Gresham predicted. During Gresham's service, the area around the Lighthouse was incorporated into St. The Gresham's continued to serve the Lighthouse after the Coast Guard assumed responsibility for the country's lighthouses in 1939 until his retirement in 1949. The Lighthouse was automated in 1960 and has remained an active navigation aid for ships on Apalachee Bay.
The Marks Lighthouse went out for the first time since the Civil War. Although the Fresnel lens remained in the tower, it was deactivated, and a modern solar-powered beacon was placed outside the lantern room during a renovation in 2000. The Fresnel lens was placed outside the lantern room. Removed during the lantern renovation in 2014, and is now on display in the shelter's reception center. Shortly, the lantern will be re-lit with a Fresnel lens replica.
Between November 2017 and April 2018, a significant renovation of the keeper's home and the lighthouse tower was undertaken. A 4th order Fresnel lens replica was installed in the building in 2019, and soon the Lighthouse will shine again on Apalachee Bay. The caretaker's house is open to visitors on the first Friday and the following Saturday of each month, and Tuesday.
As always, if you want a great workout while visiting Tallahassee, come see us at Bragg Fitness.